Monday, September 01, 2008

Opie

I've been doing a lot of work on Opie lately. So far I have managed to achieve the following:


* Fixed Konqueror-Embedded (albeit the 20070316 version) to work with the nice new GUI. I have issues building it from OE .dev though and SSL doesn't seem to be working, so there is work to be done yet. Getting the 20080319 version working would be nice (currently segfaults on startup). A lot of people have asked for this one so it's nice to make some progress.


* Improvements to the new opie-cardapplet. It should now manage removeable cards with ease and won't let you do anything silly like ejecting the card your system is running from :)


* Fixed *a lot* of minor bugs for the 1.2.4 release, which is close at hand.


* Fixed a few package building issues in OE, mostly for packages outside the core set built for images (including third-party applications). I still haven't got Portabase or QPDF2 building though, and I haven't even looked at kopi/kapi yet.


* Tested and pushed for Opie 1.2.3 to be supported in Angstrom. We're almost there, the "machine mentors" just need to get into gear and accept the already built images.


I also bought a Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 from Japan on eBay, which has given me not only a new burst of inspiration but also some extra items for my task list (mainly to do with improving Opie's high-resolution support), and given me another machine to test Opie with. It's really quite a nice device - great screen, usable keyboard, CF, SD, and USB host. Built-in bluetooth and wifi would be nice, but at least you can get those with an additional CF card.

Next thing is to get back into sorting out the syncing situation. Opensync has moved on a little bit lately and I need to catch up. I would also like to test the copy of Intellisync that I received with my Zaurus - OK, it's commercial software, but lots of Zaurus users will still have it and no doubt expect it to work. With any luck it should just work out of the box.

No comments: