Monday, March 10, 2008

The Big OE

In less than a week now I am leaving New Zealand to go to the UK, for what us Kiwis refer to as "the big OE" (OE being Overseas Experience). The UK makes a good base for taking trips to Europe, which is what I plan to do in addition to working (most likely in London) for the next 1-2 years. Several of my friends are already in the UK and I have plenty of relatives there so at least I won't arrive in the country knowing nobody. I'm sure I'll miss home - the nice weather, having my own car, and of course being able to see my family and friends. Still, you don't find adventure on your own doorstep as someone once told me. Very true.

This week is already shaping up to be a busy one at work, winding things down. In many ways it's sad to be leaving there - I've been there just over six years now, and they are like family to me. I would have liked to get to know several new team members who joined recently better as well. There are plenty of fine people there to pick up where I'm leaving off though, and I've left them with documentation that should suffice when I'm not there to answer questions :)

Being the procrastinatory individual that I am, I still have a list of things yet to do before I go. I haven't packed yet, although I have most of the things other than clothes that I plan to take with me (much less stuff than I expected, actually). Four days left in the week - should be plenty of time ;)

In case anyone is wondering I will still be involved in my various projects (Opie, OpenSync, etc.) - being that these are run over the internet I can still participate wherever I am in the world. In some ways it will make things easier - a lot of the open source / free software conferences are in Europe anyway.

No comments: