Thursday, August 31, 2006

Update

Well, here we are again, 8 months down the track.

LCA was good, met a few cool people and I definitely enjoyed my stay in Dunedin. One thing I did not like however was how all of the recordings of the talks have somehow been lost or weren't even recorded correctly. Yes, I know the people helping out were volunteers, and I know from my own experience how difficult running a large event like that can be. On the other hand, I paid a fair amount of money for the conference and having been promised recordings of all the talks, that's what I expected. I have to say I am less than enthusiastic about making a special trip to Australia for LCA 2007, although I won't necessarily rule it out.

Over the last little while I haven't had much motivation to do work at home, but in the last week or so I have managed to fix up the Opie plugin for OpenSync a little bit - syncing contacts (or at least, retrieving them from Opie) is now working again. There's lots more work to do and hopefully now I've figured my way around the recent internal changes in OpenSync itself I can start to make some headway, possibly with help from a few other people. It would be nice to have a real syncing PDA again, I have missed that from the days of my old Palm.

For the last few weeks I have been going to a local pub quiz every Tuesday night, and it's been a lot of fun. I'm not so great at the sports questions, or "Who's that?" picture rounds, and the music round seems to consist of mostly 1950s stuff that I've never heard; but often there's someone in our team who can fill in the answer. I've been surprised by how often a guess turns out to be right as well :) We've managed to come second or third a few times.

Turns out I was wrong about the X-Files seasons 8 and 9, which on the whole were surprisingly good. The new characters worked, and a lot of the stories were just as engaging as in the previous seasons. The "mythology" (conspiracy storyline) gets weaker in the later seasons though which let the show down a bit.

No comments: